Wednesday, August 8, 2012

big wheels keep on turning

Sorry for the cheesy title to my post but I had to do it!

I was SHOCKED when Jeremy called me yesterday with the news.  He said "Well babe, we're gonna have to start researching some other areas to live other than California because we got Mobile, Alabama."  There was a silence on the other end of the phone.  I felt the lump in the back of my throat rise and I couldn't hold it back for another second.  I was in full-on sob mode.  I just couldn't help it.  I KNEW we were going to get LA-  I just knew it.  Well ok, that is slightly a lie, in the back of my mind I kept thinking no way, we aren't going there but I was still extremely hopeful.  Never for one second did I think we would get any of our choices in Texas.  I honestly just didn't know what we would get and never ever considered Mobile as a real option.  I feel horrible today for my initial reaction.  I know that Jeremy was upset and my reaction only made it worse.  He wasn't himself when we spoke last night and this morning he text and asked me to research Mobile and find out some positive information for him.  

The shock of Mobile is slowly wearing off and the more I research the area the more excited I am becoming!  For some reason I kept envisioning a swamp with gators and witch doctors down there in Alabama.  Jeremy politely advised that I was thinking more of Louisiana and probably more specifically New Orleans hehe.   Once I realized where exactly we were going my mind was more at ease.    We are going to be RIGHT on the coast!  We purposely listed all coastal areas our top picks- we want to move to a warmer climate and hopefully be completely rid of snow, ice, and freezing temperatures.  

Here are a few things I've researched today, in order of importance of course :o)

1. There is a Tanger Outlet about 40 miles away!  Yes, this is VERY important!

2.  Mobile is approximately 150 miles away from New Orleans.  I know you know why this is important- The New Orleans Hornets and Anthony Davis!

3.  Mobile is about 328 miles away from Atlanta.  Another given- CAT-lanta!

4.  Pensacola is about 60 miles away.

5.  There is a zoo close and the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center for entertainment for Gage.

6.  Mobile has a Target, TJ Maxx, and a mall!

7. Housing is affordable (this should probably be higher up on the list)

8.  Many forums and blogs say that there is little traffic. (this should probably be higher too...)

9.  Property taxes among the lowest in the country. (ok, obviously my priorities are a bit off...)

10.  We will be there together! (This really should be #1 as it is the most important!)

So clearly there are some positives about Mobile, most important the affordability of the city which will allow for me to continue working part time.  I can't really research schools or jobs just yet as there is a strong possibility we will be in a smaller town outside of Mobile.  We will know more as time passes.  I can't wait to go visit the city and explore!  I would love love love to live in a "downtown atmosphere" where we could walk to restaurants and shopping but I also want a huge back yard for Gage and our pups.

Our assignment could have been MUCH worse.  It hasn't even been 24 hours since we found out and I know that in time Mobile will grow on us and we will come to love it.  We honestly haven't heard a single bad thing about Mobile and surprisingly a few are jealous that they were not assigned there.  I would follow Jeremy anywhere.  He is my best friend and the love of my life.  I am looking forward to starting our new life in Mobile in November.  (November 7th to be exact!)

Until I blog again... Farewell Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment