Tuesday, July 24, 2012

an update, a few projects, and a cake, too!

As of today we have 10 days until Gage and I visit Jeremy and 14 days until our location reveal!  It feels like time is CRAWLING and taking its sweet time to pass.  I am hoping that once we arrive in DC that time passes this slow!  I feel like I'm a broken record with this 'location reveal' thing but it is so incredibly exciting!  It is the only thing we have been thinking and talking about for the past few months.  I simply cannot wait to share with you all where we are going!  I'm sure August 7th will be one of the longest days of our lives!  Jeremy will be in his regular training during the day and that evening they will have a ceremony for the big reveal!  It sounds like it will be a pretty exciting experience for him- me? Not so much.  I'll have to work that day and will be waiting patiently by the phone for his call.  I'm sure that day will be the slowest day ever!  


I'm still searching Pinterest for the perfect design ideas for our new home and have been ordering and making things here and there.  My latest obsession is with these adorable felt ball rugs!  Are they not the cutest things ever?!  I would love to make one for Gage's room or any room in the house so I set out on a mission to find the felt balls to make one...

DIY FELT BALL RUG. so neat!


HAVE YOU EVER PRICED FELT BALLS?  Holy cow are they expensive!  The tutorials for the rugs say that they take around 750-1000 balls.   1000 felt balls cost $190!!  I don't know about anyone else but I do not have an extra $200 laying around for me to buy a bunch of balls to *try* to make something!  I'm all about DIY projects but not when they cost this much and the odds of a successful outcome are slim.  Here is a Ready Made Felt Ball Rug that you can order, it is 350 euros so you do the conversion math.  Sadly this Momma will not be making a felt ball rug... or ordering one :o(


Ok, on to some other successful and inexpensive projects!  

I fell in love with a pin I found of a glass ornament that had a wedding invitation inside of it.  I dug out one of our invitations and found my one of my cricut cutter accessories to use to slice the invitation horizontally in even strips.  After cutting the strips, I wrapped them around a pencil so they would have a "curly" look to them and slid them inside the ornament.  I had to stick the pencil inside of the ornament a few times to sort of arrange and organize the pieces.  I also cut a few strips from our envelop so to give it a little color.  I am so happy with the results!  From every angle you can see wording from our invitation and it takes me back to that magical day when I married my best friend.  This is one of my most favorite projects from Pinterest and will cherish it always!  This project was ridiculously inexpensive- I paid $3.99 for 4 glass ornaments and I already had the cutter and the pencil!  ;O)

 



I'd like to share some photos of the adorable ballerina cake I made for my niece Maya's 4th birthday.  I was elated at the chance to make this birthday cake for her!  She is such a joy to my life it was my pleasure to create this little cake for her!  I molded the little ballerina out of fondant.  She took me about an hour to make and then three days to dry.  I covered the cake with a light pink fondant and added some quilting detail around the sides.  The entire cake (and ballerina) was dusted with pink sparkles that I think made the cake!  Maya is a very popular little girl so I also made some cupcakes to go along with the cake!  I am so so proud of this cake!  Everything I know about cake decorating (with fondant) I've taught myself.  I'm still learning and have a long way to go!  I would love to make a cake for you or your loved one!   Although you can't see it very well in the pictures my sister in-law had a gorgeous white cake pedestal.  I was in love with the simplicity of it and have decided to order one for myself!  You can see it here.  (Shout out to my Pampered Chef consultant, Ann Cheuvront!)


why, hello there


I also made cupcakes to accompany the cake and topped a few of them with tiny plastic ballerinas
the cake was perfect with a sparkly pink 4 candle!

I want to say thank you again to all of my readers.  So many of you have continued to reach out to me to show your support during the time that Jeremy and I are spending apart and to tell me of your love ad appreciation for my blog.  While this experience has been difficult it has also been very rewarding.  Not only will this time apart strengthen my love and relationship with Jeremy but it has also strengthened my relationship will all of you.  I've definitely found out who my friends are through this process and I am thankful for each one of you!

Until I blog again- farewell friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment