Sunday, July 29, 2012

our song is the slamming screen door...

Last night as I was getting ready for bed I turned on the tv just to have some background noise.  As usual it was on Nick Jr. so I decided to channel surf to see if I could find something a bit more age appropriate and entertaining.  Feeling the need for some music, I stopped on GAC's 20 Greatest Love Songs.  A few songs into the countdown and I was of course in tears reminiscing about my own love story and how we became us.  So here it is, a snap shot from our love story...

In late 2005 I was a carefree junior in college living with my two roommates having the time of my life.  I had just gotten out of a very long and emotional relationship at the end of the summer and was happily living the single life.  For the first time in nearly 4 years I was actually dating.  I met a guy at a mixer, went on a date with a guy I met in class and a guy I met on the bus, even went on a few dates with some guys I knew from high school.  It was crazy, exciting, and I loved it.  I was finally just "Melissa" not "Melissa and... ".  I decided to spend some time getting to know myself and focusing on school and just being carefree and independent.  I had no clue what was in the cards for me in the coming months...

My roommate had a birthday in early December and to celebrate we went to a Rascal Flats concert.  I was decked out in a denim mini skirt and silver cowboy boots and ready to have an amazing night with my friends.  We had a few drinks, went to the concert, and as all college-aged kids do we headed to Steak N Shake after.  We sat in our booth laughing, joking, and wearing the goofy chef hats... classy, I know.  Then I saw him.  He was at a booth in the back of the restaurant with a friend.  Obviously I noticed his uniform first- I mean come on, who doesn't love a man in uniform!  He. Was. Gorgeous.  My friends and I did everything we could to get his attention and he wouldn't even glance our way.  Defeated, we headed out to the car.  As I was climbing in I thought to myself- there is no way I am leaving without giving him my number!  Yes I was gutsy, perhaps it was the alcohol.  I scanned the parking lot for his cruiser to leave my note on but didn't see it so I went back inside.  I gave my number to our server and sent him over to his table.  Jeremy called me 20 minutes later.

I was shocked!  I couldn't believe he called me!  He said that he was flattered that I had sent my number over and because of my "bravery" he decided the nice thing to do was to at least call.  I explained to him which one I was and he actually noticed me!  I'm sure it was the skirt and boot combo I was rocking but I didn't care- HE CALLED!  We spent about an hour on the phone before I was too tired to talk anymore and we called it a night.  As soon as we hung up he text me!   I was ecstatic!  We decided to get together the next day and boy was I nervous!  I had a semi-formal that night and couldn't get home fast enough.  I rushed home, changed, and called him to come pick me up.  I was so incredibly nervous and a bit puzzled when he pulled up in a Crown Vic!  I remember walking to the car thinking this better not be his real car!  (Nope, just his cruiser!).  We went back to his place and spent all night talking and getting to know each other.  Around 4:00 am my nerves started up again- it was late, we were tired, and I was at his place- what was this guy going to expect next?  Shockingly, he offered to drive me home and did just that.  As we were sitting in front of my place he handed me his business card "in case I ever needed anything".  What the hell?  I knew I would never see him again with that goodbye.

Well... he didn't make me wait the standard two days to call.  He called and text me right away. He was so sweet,  a true gentleman, everything I had ever wanted in a man.  We started spending more time together everyday until we were inseparable.  We simply just could not get enough of each other.  In the Spring I went home with him for the weekend.  It was the first time I would meet his parents and see the home where he grew up.  I fell in love with him that weekend.  We spent the next 9 months getting to know each other and falling in love.  He finally proposed to me on February 28, 2007 in our bathroom at home!  At that moment it was wildly romantic but we look back on it now and laugh!

San Diego, August 2006


I knew right away that I wanted to marry him and spend forever with that man.   Our life together has been full of ups and downs.  Happiness and tears.  Laughter and love.  I wouldn't change a single thing about it.  We got married September 22, 2007 and it was the best day of my life until we welcomed our son in May 2009.  The love I had for Jeremy more than tripled when we welcomed that sweet little boy into our lives.  It is so incredible watching your husband that you are already crazy in love with become a father.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what an incredible father he is to our son.  I'm looking forward to spending the rest of forever with him and expanding our little family of 3.  (No, I'm not pregnant!)  
September 22, 2007
Gage Alexander Wright, May 26, 2009
I hope you have enjoyed reading a tiny little bit about our love story.  It sure has been fun to reminisce some of the most special and wonderful days of my life!

Until I blog again... Farewell friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment