Monday, July 9, 2012

thank you! thank you!

Wow!  What a warm welcome and overwhelming response to my return to my blog!  Y'all sure do know how to make a girl feel good!  I am truly humbled by all of your kind words and encouragement and even by the few I've "inspired" to blog!  Although I am relatively new to this I must say that writing is something that comes naturally to me.  When I first decided to start blogging I wondered what I would write about and somehow I come up with the words to say... or, er umm... write :o)

So first things first.  I'd like to share some of the projects that I've been working on over the past two weeks.  I am addicted to Pinterest but come on, who isn't these days?  A few weeks ago while I was pinning along I realized that I had over 600 pins on my boards and I hadn't made or attempted to make any of things I had pinned!  So I decided that I was going to try my hand at some of the seemingly easy and amazing pins!

My first try was a wreath.  Let me first say that I was SO HAPPY with the results!  And proud- you betcha!  BUT this wreath was nowhere near cheap or as inexpensive as others had bragged about on Pinterest!  I spent close to $50 bucks on this thing!  Needless to say, it will be "hanging around" for a long, long time!

my little helper :)
LOVE my wreath!

The next thing I wanted to try was as DIY Mercury Glass Lamp.  The tutorial was simple enough; old lamp, Krylon Looking-Glass spray paint, spray bottle of water, a little tape and presto: a mercury glass looking lamp.  I was thrilled to find an amazing deal on a great lamp on Craigslist.  I scored my lamp for $10!  I spent about $15 on spray paint- I bought primer, metallic paint, and after checking Lowe's and two different Wal-Mart stores I finally found the looking-glass spray paint. I taped up the important parts, primed my lamp, sprayed it with water, and applied the looking-glass paint.  Although the can of paint clearly states that it is for use on glass objects, the tutorial said nothing about the item you paint having to be glass.  The looking-glass spray paint was a waste of time and money.  I wouldn't stick to the lamp, actually pulled away the primer and the sprayed water that was supposed to give it that "distressed" look just looked like, well, beads of water.  I ended up wiping down the whole lamp and re-spraying the entire thing with silver metallic paint.  I blotted it with a paper towel for a nice somewhat distressed look.  The pictures don't' really do it justice but it turned out to be a gorgeous lamp.  I found a great new shade at Wal-Mart for $15 that I think really sets it off!

before




So these are the only projects I've been able to get around to but my next plan is a trip to Ikea to pick up an awesome shoe cabinet for our future new home!  I hope that my small attempts at some Pinterest projects inspire you to try some of your favorite pins!

Until I blog again... farewell friends!

UPDATE!

I almost forgot to share my very first Pinterest project that ever I attempted!  I painted this silhouette of my son, Gage.  I am so so proud of myself for painting this of my baby!  It was so incredibly difficult to get a good profile shot of my ever active little guy but boy was it worth the effort!  I will treasure this always :o)

Gage Alexander, 2 years, 9 months

No comments:

Post a Comment